Sunday, November 15, 2009

This is It


I spent two hours watching a creative genius at work today.

Michael Jackson was an enigma in life. He was never fully understood. Never fully appreciated.

The allegations of child abuse? Ya know....I don't know. If I am as much a proponent of the US criminal justice system as I proclaim I have to come to the conclusion that he was not guilty of those charges brought against him. Do I think he wasn't a bizarre individual with bizarre habits? I think his personal life was bizarre. Would I allow myself to be compromised in such situations? No. I will not cast judgement now. that is between him and his God.

I think there are few people who have seen Michael Jackson work. They have only seen the results of that work. He was a true talent. A genius in his field really. I have always enjoyed his music. From the time I was a young girl I listened to his albums over and over again. I used to know Thriller by heart. I probably still would if I ever sat and listened to it long enough. When he died this summer I was devastated beyond any measure I thought I would have been. I did not idolize him per se but he revered him and his talent. He was such a hard worker, such a perfectionist. I think if more of us strive for that in our own crafts and/or lives the world would be a brighter place.

The film also shed some light on his relationship with his father, or should I say the lack thereof. It was a brief moment but in rehearsals for the song "I'll be there" where he acknowledges love for this brothers and his mother. Joe Jackson was noticeably absent. I do not blame Michael in the least. I just hope fathers, (and mothers for that matter) all over the world learn how being overbearing on your own children can come back to bite you. I think it has bitten Joe Jackson in a big way, though I think he is probably too clueless to realize it.

I wrote shortly after his death that I was quickly losing all my childhood idols. While those have been replaced by others in my field that I respect there will never be replacements for Lucille Ball, Sammy Davis Jr, Gregory Hines and now, Michael Jackson.

Thank you for sharing your gift with me. Rest in Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment